Spouse/Common-Law/Conjugal Partner Sponsorship


You may be eligible to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

  • You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
  • You and your partner are both at least 18 years of age;
  • The relationship is genuine and is not for the purposes of gaining different permanent resident status in Canada;
  • You are not on social assistance for any reason other than a disability; and
  • You have never been convicted of a violent or sexual offence, or an offense causing bodily harm to a relative.


Your partner may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under this category if he or she meets one of the following definitions:

Spouse: He/she and you are legally married, and were eligible to marry at the time the marriage took place.

Common-law Partner: He or she has been living with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year.

Conjugal Partner: He or she has been in a binding relationship with you for at least one year, though not married and not living with you due to situations beyond your control.

There are a few factors that may affect your eligibility as a sponsor, including your previous immigration history of having recently sponsored an individual or having been sponsored yourself to obtain permanent residence under this category.


If you recently got married or you want to sponsor your partner to live with you in Canada on a permanent basis, contact us today so that we can assist you with your sponsorship application.