Open Work Permits


A foreign national may be eligible to apply for an open work permit, which is not tied to a particular employer or profession and is exempted from the LMIA requirement. If you fall under one or more of the following categories, then you may be eligible to apply for an open work permit:

  • Foreign nationals that qualify under the International Experience Canada program
  • Applicants who have submitted their permanent residence application at a visa office in Canada
  • Dependent family members of a permanent residence applicant
  • Spouses or common-law partners of temporary workers and international students
  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons and members of their family
  • Some temporary resident permit holders


You may need to meet additional criteria to be eligible to apply for an open work permit. Contact us today for more information.

Start your initial consultation by filling out the Assessment Form. We will get back to you shortly with availability for your appointment.