TCI-Sponsorship Pic-1

Ranking highest among the G7 countries for its migration policies, Canada has long been a world leader in terms of offering citizenship to people who are skilled and financially independent.

With new changes being introduced at the start of June this year to further ease the whole immigration process, we look at how this affects the sponsorship of family class immigration.

Canadian immigration process

The primary route for becoming a Canadian citizen is through economic factors that use a points system to judge an applicant’s suitability and determine if they will be accepted for naturalization. This is known as the express entry system and is designed to attract global talent into the country through a range of schemes and initiatives.

The new changes that have been implemented along with Bill C-6 receiving the Royal Assent and becoming part of Canadian law now make it easier and quicker for an application to be processed.

Allowing permanent residents to apply sooner and with less paperwork is hoped to increase the appeal of talented individuals migrating into the country, but not just the individuals. One of the main principles of Canada’s immigration process has always been to ensure a family unit is able to remain together.

It is this family class of immigration, which is the second most popular way to seek Canadian expatriation and it too has a simplified application process.

Who is an eligible Sponsor?

To sponsor your close family members for Canadian citizenship you must be over 18 and either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of the country already. Further to this, you cannot be:

  • Under a removal order;
  • In detention or prison;
  • Have ever been declared bankrupt;
  • Claiming social benefits other than disability allowances;
  • Convicted of a sexual or violent offense; and
  • Defaulted on a previous sponsorship.

Meeting these criteria then allows you to submit an application along with the required fees, which are for each individual you are sponsoring and defined by the age and relationship of the family member.

They will then be obliged to take a medical examination before you are formally able to sign a sponsorship agreement, which legally commits your responsibility to ensure their financial support.


Spousal, and Common-Law Sponsorship

While the family class sponsorship includes all members of close family, including any dependent children, parents, and grandparents, there are further choices available in making a sponsorship application for a spouse.

This is also irrespective of whether you are married, a common-law partner or in a conjugal relationship, with each type of relationship being treat in the same manner. There are, however, two different methods of application, Inland or Overseas/Outland sponsorship.

The main difference between these types of application relates to where your partner is currently residing. Inland being when they are in Canada and Overseas/Outland for applicants outside of the Canadian border.

Inland sponsorship requires your partner to not only already be in the country, but also have an existing temporary visa. New laws also mean that a spouse who is in the process of applying for inland sponsorship may be able to receive an open-work permit which enables them to support themselves in the country before a decision is made, meaning it is easier for a couple to realistically remain together.

While Overseas/Outland sponsorship does not provide this added benefit, your partner will still be able to apply for a temporary visa to visit but would not legally be allowed to work in the country. Furthermore, Canada is also now committed to processing all applications within 12 months.

Would you like to sponsor your spouse to Canada?

Start your eligibility assessment today!


Call us at 416-450-1700

Toll: 1-800-TCI(824)-6963


%d bloggers like this: